In 2012, the ITE Hawaii Section established an Annual Meeting Grant to provide assistance to Hawaii Section members selected to present papers at ITE Western District Annual Meetings. This grant was renamed the Constantinos S. Papacostas Annual Meeting Grant in 2015 to honor the dedication and contributions of Dr. Constantinos S. Papacostas. Costas, as he was affectionately known as, contributed over 40 years to the transportation profession as the Chair of the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the University of Hawaii at Manoa, Director of the Hawaii Local Technical Assistance Program (LTAP), and one of the founding members of the ITE Hawaii Section. The following are the guidelines regarding the distribution of this grant:
- The ITE Hawaii Section will offer a single $300 annual scholarship to be used for funding an ITE Hawaii Section member’s attendance when presenting at an ITE Western District Annual Meeting.
- The ITE Hawaii Section will offer a single $300 annual scholarship to be used for funding an ITE Hawaii Section student officer’s attendance when presenting at an ITE Western District Annual Meeting.
- Applications for the Constantinos S. Papacostas Annual Meeting Grant must be submitted in writing to the ITE Hawaii Section Board by January 31st. The request must include the applicant’s name, contact information, ITE membership number, and paper acceptance notification. Exceptions may be made for applicants who prepare exhibits for the Annual Meeting poster sessions on the discretion of the ITE Hawaii Section Board.
- The recipient(s) must be active and in good standing with ITE International, ITE Western District, and the ITE Hawaii Section at the time of the application.
- The ITE Hawaii Section Board will select a single member and a single student offer per year to receive the grant. The recipient’s involvement with ITE on the local, District, or International level will be factored into the ITE Hawaii Section Board’s selection.
- In any given year when there are no applications for the Constantinos S. Papacostas Annual Meeting Grant, the Hawaii Section Board may elect to offer the grant to a single member and/or a single student officer for presentations at ITE International Annual Meetings.
- For years in which the scholarship goes unawarded for two or more consecutive years, additional funding of $300 can be made available, to be included at the discretion of the ITE Hawaii Section Board. This rollover is to encourage participation for years in which no applications are received.
- Recipient(s) of this grant area required to (1) make a presentation of their paper at a Hawaii Section meeting and (2) volunteer their time at the Annual Meeting that they attend in an official capacity.
- Proof of attendance, presentation, and volunteering is required following the Annual Meeting. If this cannot be provided, the ITE Hawaii Section Board reserves the right to request return of the allotted funds.
- The ITE Hawaii Section Board has the sole discretion whether or not to sponsor a member and has the right to discontinue the grant at any time.
- No member will be sponsored more than two times in any consecutive ten year period.
Applications should be submitted via mail or email to the Hawaii Section Secretary-Treasurer by January 31st. Awardees will be announced by March 1st.